About the job
Environment America seeks a Federal Legislative Director to develop and advocate for policies to build a greener, healthier world. The Federal Legislative Director will work with our staff of researchers, advocates, campaign staff and communications experts to move more campuses, cities and states towards 100% renewable energy, keep more fossil fuels in the ground, ban bee-killing pesticides, stop pollution of our air and water, and protect our public lands.
Environment America is a policy and action group with more than two million members and supporters spread across all 50 states. Our staff have been working for nearly four decades to promote national, state and local policies that put the environment first. For example, we’ve won policies that have resulted in more solar and wind power in 25 states, cleaner cars and power plants nationwide, and better protections for our rivers, streams, lakes and drinking water. With affiliates in 29 states, we run campaigns that not only raise awareness, but win results on the national stage, in states and cities, on the ballot and in the courtroom.
The Federal Legislative Director will:
• Track and analyze U.S. federal policy issues related to Environment America’s issue portfolio and make recommendations regarding policy positions and messaging;
• Develop strong and collaborative relationships with federal agencies, partner organizations, coalitions, congressional staff of both parties, and other stakeholders to advance shared goals;
• Draft and develop legislative proposals and strategies to pass them into law;
• Draft materials for lawmakers, the public, and the media, and other content to help advance our campaigns, including opinion editorials, press releases, letters to the editor, action campaign emails, factsheets, bill summaries and policy briefs, regulatory comments, analyses, and presentations;
• Work with our existing staff of advocates and campaign staff to advance our policy goals;
• Fundraise from charitable foundations and individual donors to support Environment America’s program.
The ideal candidate will be:
• An experienced advocate with excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
• Creative and effective at solving complex problems, and a strategic thinker.
• A good people-person/listener with a track record of successful relationship-building.
• Well-organized and able to track multiple efforts and keep multiple balls in the air;
• 5 years of experience in advocacy, grassroots organizing, coalition-building and/or campaign politics.
Experience as a legislative advocate within Congress, the state legislature or another organization is a plus but not required.
Please address your cover letter to Kyle Larson, Hiring Director.
Pay & Benefits
Compensation for this position is commensurate with the candidate’s relevant professional experience. Environment America offers a competitive benefits package.
Things To Know When You Apply
Environment America is part of The Public Interest Network — a group of organizations that share a vision of a better country, a set of core values, and a coordinated strategic approach to getting things done. Click here for things you should know about our network when you apply.
Environment America is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, disability, pregnancy, or veteran status.
The first step for applying for a job with Environment America is to fill out this form. From there, we’ll connect you to our online application and send you updates on our hiring process.