Environment America seeks a Defending our Environment Director to lead our campaign to defend our clean air, clean water and open spaces protections from legislative and administrative attacks.
Founded in 2007 by the Public Interest Network as the new home for U.S. PIRG’s environmental work, Environment America is a policy and action group with more than two million members and supporters spread across all 50 states. We promote national, state and local policies that put the environment first. For example, we’ve won policies that have resulted in more solar and wind power in 22 states, cleaner cars and power plants nationwide, and better protections for our rivers, streams, lakes and drinking water.
The Defending our Environment Director will lead a campaign to block all significant environmental rollbacks by building broad opposition from the public, key constituencies and members of Congress. The program director will:
• Watchdog the Congress and the White House to identify new rollbacks
• Meet with decision-makers
• Reach out to the national and local media
• Write multi-year and annual strategic plans
• Fundraise through grants and large donors
• Hire and develop staff and future leadership
The ideal candidate for Defending our Environment Director will be:
• An experienced communicator with excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
• Creative, effective at solving complex problems, and a strategic thinker.
• A good people-person/listener with a track record of successful access-building.
• Well-organized and able to track multiple legislative and administrative threats.
• 5 years of experience in advocacy, grassroots organizing, coalition-building and/or campaign politics.
Pay & Benefits
Target annual compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate has. Environment America offers a competitive benefits package.
Things To Know When You Apply
Environment America is part of The Public Interest Network — a group of organizations that share a vision of a better country, a set of core values, and a coordinated strategic approach to getting things done. Click here for things you should know about our network when you apply.
Environment America is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, or veteran status.
The first step for applying for a job with Environment America is to fill out this form. From there, we’ll connect you to our online application and send you updates on our hiring process.