Executive Director, Environment Washington
Environment Washington is a statewide, citizen-based environmental advocacy organization focused on clean air, clean water and open spaces. Current priority campaigns include keeping plastic out of Puget Sound, creating a national monument to protect undeveloped areas of the San Juan Islands, along with promoting clean energy and cutting global warming emissions.
Environment Washington combines independent research, tough-minded advocacy and electoral work with one of the largest grassroots organizing programs in Washington to achieve concrete results on behalf of our members and the environment. Over the last year, we’ve made significant progress in our work to protect Puget Sound wildlife by convincing Seattle and several other cities to ban plastic bags. And this spring, we won a major victory by expanding Mt. Rainier National Park to prevent logging and development in the Carbon River Valley Rainforest.
Environment Washington is seeking an Executive Director to build on this strong track record of success and provide the leadership to take the organization to the next level.
Environment Washington is part of Environment America, a federation of state-based environmental advocacy groups. Through this network, we work to advance environmental precedents in the states and through our capacity to mobilize citizens and supporters in all fifty states. For more information about the organization, visit www.EnvironmentWashington.org.
Position Summary - The Executive Director will be charged with managing all aspects of the organization’s work and will report directly to Dan Kohler, the organization’s Regional Director.
Core responsibilities will include:
- Strategic Planning: Set the organization’s agenda, and create a strategic plan to win policy victories through research, advocacy, coalition building, grassroots organizing, media publicity, and message development.
- Building Grassroots Power: Build the organization’s reach and power by designing campaigns that recruit new members, build support in key political key districts, and mobilize activists.
- Budgeting & Fundraising: Oversee the organization’s budget and fundraising with a focus on increasing the organization’s income from foundations and through meetings with individual donors. Work closely with citizen outreach staff to maintain and build our membership base through canvassing, telephone outreach and direct mail.
- Managing and Developing Staff: Manage the organization’s current staff through training, goal setting, planning and evaluation, along with recruiting new staff to build the organization.
- Advocacy: Directly lobby decision makers including state legislators, the Executive branch, Washington’s Congressional delegation and local officials.
- Media Outreach and Organizational Visibility: Increase the organization’s media presence and name recognition through events, news releases and editorial board meetings, along with improving the organization’s online presence and printed materials.
- Coalition Building: Build strong and lasting coalitions that engage new constituencies and add power and resources to our advocacy work.
Qualifications - Candidates must have at least 5-7 years of relevant professional experience. Preference is given to past work in political, policy, non-profit management or government settings. The Executive Director must be an organized and goal-driven individual. Excellent communications skills and a proven track record of success are all critical.
Salary and Benefits - Salary for this position is commensurate with a candidate’s relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees. A competitive benefits package includes health care coverage, educational loan assistance, a retirement plan, paid vacation and sick days.
Location - Seattle, WA
To Apply - Send a cover letter and resume to Dan Kohler, by applying online here. Please specify that you are applying for the Environment Washington Director position, and be sure to mention where you saw our job advertised.
Environment Washington is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or veteran status.