Environment Florida Campaign Director
Environment Florida is seeking an experienced organizer to run winning campaigns to protect our waters and special places from overdevelopment, drilling, and pollution; to promote solar power; and to ensure that Florida’s political leaders are part of the solution when it comes to global warming and the profound impacts it could bring to the Sunshine state.
Florida’s world-famous beaches; the Everglades; and the rivers, parks, and forms of wildlife too numerous to list are part of what make Floridians among the luckiest people on earth. Yet the places we love and the environmental values we share are too often threatened by powerful industries, big developers, and shortsighted politicians. Defending our environment requires independent research, tough-minded advocacy and spirited grassroots action. That's the idea behind Environment Florida. Together with thousands of supporters from all walks of life, we win tangible results for our environment, from winning new standards to limit pollution from cars and trucks, to protecting the Everglades from foolish development proposals.
Florida is well known as a political battleground state. What’s less well known is the battle brewing over the future of Florida’s environment. For decades, the protection of the state’s beaches, parks, and open spaces has enjoyed broad, bipartisan support. But today, big money polluters from the Koch Brothers to Big Sugar have captured too many of our far-right wing politicians and those in power in Tallahassee. As a result, our land conservation programs have gone broke. Our incentives for solar power have run dry. Offshore oil and gas rigs could threaten our prized coast. Too many of the state’s leaders are standing in the way of national solutions to climate change, water pollution, and protecting our parks and forests.
That’s where you come in. You are an experienced organizer who is ready to go where the fight is. You know that it takes statewide grassroots action to go toe-to-toe with the biggest polluters of our day and win. And you know the fight is going to be tough here in Florida. Be it major, international corporations and their offshore drilling interests, or developers looking to pave the Everglades, special interests are powerful. But you know people power is stronger, and you are as passionate as we are about building a citizen’s organization ready to protect what we all hold so dear.
- Develop strategy. You’ll develop the strategy for and run field-oriented issue-campaigns to ensure our targets vote to protect our air, water, and open spaces.
- Communications: You’ll craft compelling messages for a wide variety of audiences, develop materials from a campaign slogan to fact sheets, editorials and news releases to website content and email alerts.
- Media: You’ll focus state, and at times national, media attention on our campaigns to create momentum, educate citizens and decision makers and build credibility. You’ll build relationships with key people in the media, like reporters, editors and publishers.
- Building Coalitions: You’ll reach across isles and outside of the traditional environmental community to build wide-based public support to influence decision makers. You’ll work with celebrities, VIPs and all of the usual suspects.
- Organizing the Field: You’ll organize resources to gain access and generate political pressure on decision-makers and turn out the vote in elections. You’ll work with our field staff, internet team, members and volunteers to mobilize activists ready to fight for Florida.
- Fundraising: You’ll build lasting relationships in the funder community and build resources for your work with foundations and major donors.
- Recruitment and staff development. You’ll recruit interns, canvassers, and fellows, and train and develop them to be skilled tacticians, strategists, and leaders.
You are committed to defending the environment here in Florida, and building the public support it takes in the long term to be ready for whatever tomorrow may bring. You are ambitious, a leader and have a track record of accomplishment. You have at least 2 years of post-college professional experience, such as environmental advocacy, grassroots organizing, investigative journalism, law school, or post-graduation legal work. If you have more experience, we have more responsibility in store, and you are encouraged to apply.
Salary & Benefits
Salary for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate possesses. We offer a competitive benefits package including health care, 401(k), educational loan assistance, and paid vacation and sick days. Opportunities for advancement, travel and additional training are available.
Only online applications will be considered. Apply here. Please specify where you heard about this position.
Environment Florida is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or veteran status.