Environment Colorado Advocate
Whether it’s exploring Rocky Mountain National Park, hiking Dolores Canyon, or enjoying a special place closer to home, Colorado’s natural wonders enrich our lives in countless ways. Yet the places we love and the values we share are too often threatened. That’s where we come in.
Environment Colorado is a statewide, citizen-based environmental advocacy organization. Our professional staff combines independent research, practical ideas and tough-minded advocacy to overcome the opposition of powerful special interests and win real results for Colorado's environment.
- Last year, Environment Colorado helped close two of Colorado's oldest, dirtiest coal-fired power plants, keeping 70,000 pounds of toxic emissions out of the air.
- Thanks to a bill Environment Colorado helped write in 2010, Colorado will get 30% of its energy from clean, renewable sources by 2020.
Our hard-hitting research shows the battle for Colorado’s environment is still raging.
- In March, we released a report that shows polluters dumped 250,000 pounds of chemicals into the South Platte River alone.
- As we all are witnessing, Colorado has already seen the extreme weather effects of climate change. This year more than 1,200 wildfires burned over 230,000 acres within the state.
That’s where you come in. You are an experienced organizer who is ready to go where the fight is. You know that it takes state-wide grassroots action to go toe-to-toe with the biggest polluters of our day and win. You know that this battle isn’t just for our state. You know Colorado environmental policy is a proving ground for national environmental policy, and we can continue to set the standard for what’s possible in America. And you know that since we are part of the Environment America federation of state-based environment groups with offices in Denver and Washington, D.C., we are just the group to do it.
- Program development: You’ll identify the biggest environmental problems in Colorado, develop solutions, pick a vehicle to enact your solutions, and the strategy it will take to win.
- Communications: You’ll craft compelling messages for a wide variety of audiences, develop materials from a campaign slogan to fact sheets, editorials and news releases to website content and email alerts.
- Media: You’ll focus state, and at times national, media attention on our campaigns to create momentum, educate citizens and decision makers and build credibility. You’ll build relationships with key people in the media, like reporters, editors and publishers.
- Building Coalitions: You’ll reach across isles and outside of the traditional environmental community to build wide-based public support to influence decision makers. You’ll work with celebrities, VIPs and all of the usual suspects.
- Organizing the Field: You’ll organize resources to gain access and generate political pressure on decision-makers. You’ll work with our field staff, internet team, members and volunteers to mobilize activists ready to fight for Colorado.
- Fundraising: You’ll build lasting relationships in the funder community and build resources for your work with foundations and major donors.
You are committed to defending the environment here in Colorado, and building the public support it takes in the long term to be ready for whatever tomorrow may bring. You are ambitious, a leader and have a track-record of accomplishment. You have at least 2 years of post-college professional experience, such as environmental advocacy, grassroots organizing, investigative journalism, law school, or post-graduation legal work. If you have more experience, we have more responsibility in store, and you are encouraged to apply.
Salary & Benefits
Salary for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate possesses. We offer a competitive benefits package including health care, 401(k), educational loan assistance, and paid vacation and sick days. Opportunities for advancement, travel and additional training are available.
Only online applications will be considered. Apply here. Please specify where you heard about this position.
Environment America is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or veteran status.